Monday, March 20, 2006

References


Question: If you had to provide real-life references for internet interaction, who would you choose? And, why?

What if "Internet Etiquette" required that blog-pals, chat-friends, and message board members should have access to character references, from IRL friends, about you?

I must meditate on this question....bbl to give my answer. Feel free to leave yours now!

5 comments:

Christa said...

that's quite an interesting idea... I was distracted by the M&M's, though. I just want to EAT them!!! Be afraid, Yellow, be very, very afraid. Anyway, uh what were we talking about??? Oh yeah... I know I've visted you a time or two before, I was having such problems with my blog for such a long time. Email me at christa (at) cryingbaby (dot) net and tell me which link is local. I'm dying to know if you live right around the corner, or up the road as it may be. And could you hear music when you open my blog??? I'll be linking you, we have A LOT in common! (Your favorite music, for example...)

Anonymous said...

What in the world does "bbl" mean? Golly, no way should we be giving references...if we did, folks would find out that I'm not a lanky supermodel living in Malibu with my fabulous husband, great kids, and legion of dogs. But they could find out the truth about me...I AM a superpower.

mamashine said...

bbl=be back later

Is this something that's being considered? Is it to prevent lying? I don't know that personally I feel that I need references. Most of the blogs I read seem to be written by really fun, upstanding citizens who have things in common with me. If they're lying, they're good at it, and what would be the point of pretending? Plus, I don't plan to meet any of them IRL because none of them live near me.

However, I do think that if you have a teenager who's chatting with people, more caution would be required.

Also, if you were to provide real life references, how would you do that? Link to blogs of family members? Give out phone numbers? How would it work? I always have it in the back of my mind that shady people are going to refer you to people that would lie for you anyway. Why would you ever choose a reference who would say something negative about you?

Anyway, not sure that's really any kind of answer to your questions. It is interesting though.

mamashine said...

read that and it didn't sound right...

lie TO you... or else lie for THEM. :)

Chrissy said...

Hello, all!

Well, this was a "tongue-in-cheek" idea, not Real, NOT being considered by any entity. I was actually thinking that "debwonder" would be my perfect character witness, if any new friend needed to make sure that I was who I said I was...(so cool that Ms Deb spoke out!) I was once part of a pregnancy message board that was scammed by someone; although, a core group maintained that the person was for real. Kep, you thought of some great points! True, a liar would choose liars to continue a lie.

Christa, the m&m photo came up under "references" at Google images! They are my favorite candy!! They are the main reason that my high school cheerleading uniform will never fit again! Look for email. :-)

OK, I'm encouraged now to keep writing. Comments are a GOOD THING! I encourage everyone to leave comments on blogs you read.