If you've read my profile, you know I have a fondness for the printed, written word. I'm working on adding a "What I'm reading" header to the link line. Enjoy!
"THE NOVELIST" by Angela Hunt...(anything by this wonderful author is highly recommended!)
Book Description (Amazon)
From the author who taught you to expect the unexpected...an intriguing tale about families, fiction, and what to do when life veers wildly off script. It begins...when a smug college student challenges a best-selling novelist to write something "more personal." It begins...when a mother finds her troubled son slumped unconscious outside her house. It begins...when fiction and reality blur, and the novelist finds herself caught somewhere in the middle of it all. Where does it end? That all depends on who is telling the story...
"THE LAST DISCIPLE" by Hank Hanegraaff & Sigmund Brower (also, the 2nd book-"The Last Sacrifice")
This book explores the teory that the Tribulation began in the days of Nero, with the circulation of the book of Revelation as written by the disciple John. I eagerly await the 3rd book!
"ABIDE WITH ME" by Elizabeth Strout
From The New Yorker
The handsome minister Tyler Caskey, of West Annett, Maine, is beloved by his parishioners because he really does think they're all God's children. But in the bleak autumn of 1959, more than a year after the death of his wife, Tyler is still awash in grief. The man who once held them rapt from the pulpit now appears ridiculous up there—"like a big tractor being driven by a teenage kid, slipping in and out of gear"—and his daughter has started screaming and spitting in kindergarten. How can he lead them if he himself is lost? Just as she did in her first novel, "Amy and Isabelle," Strout has created an absorbing world peopled by characters who argue the merits of canned cranberry sauce and using one's turn signal; meanwhile, dark fears about Freud and Khrushchev run beneath the surface of their lives like water under ice. With superlative skill, Strout challenges us to examine what makes a good story—and what makes a good life.
Copyright © 2006 The New Yorker
"TALES FROM THE SCALE" by Erin O'Shea
I'm not a 'big girl', but I'm also not a 'little girl'. Although I wear the size of the "average American woman", I don't fit the norm for my geographic environment. This book is a series of essays that will touch your heart. if you've ever struggled with image or weight, or love someone who does, these tales will resonate. If only my hubby would read a few pages...
6 comments:
Those all sound really good. I need to hunt them down. I don't know if you've checked my reading list, but I'm a little ashamed of how fluffy it is. Nothing much of substance on it. :)
kep, trust me, I read 'fluff'! This list is from the last month and these are the best of that bunch. I read 1-2 books per week, so...
Thanks for the suggestions I'm always looking for something to read. When I'm out of books I wander the library hoping something will jump out at me.
I just finished The Chrysalids - John Wyndham. My daughter had to read it for school so I read it too.
Can't wait to read Abide With Me, on your recommendation!
I havn't read any of these. So good to get new ideas. I've been trying to figure out how to add a "What I'm reading" to my sidebar as well. Just havn't gotten around to it yet. And for the last week it would show East of Eden. Not been reading much lately...because of this BLOG THING!
I read Tales from the Scale. Don't remember what I thought about it. Hmmmm. THis is an interesting comment by me, huh?
Anyway, HI STRANGER!
Post a Comment